Monday 7 September 2009

Post 4: Weekend of tasty food

Hey guys!  Hope you had a good weekend.  We really utilized our “Iron Chef” skills on the food this weekend.  I’m drooling just thinking about it.
First – Cam’s ‘healthy’ lunch from Friday.  Just to show off the fantastic Asian snacks we can procure in BrisVegas:
Cam's 'healthy' lunch
Trident Hot and Spicy Soup with ‘Chicken’ nuggets (from Burlington in the valley), Cabbage dumplings (Burlington) and Dim Sims (from the supermarket near the former Magic Wok).  I shudder to think how much sodium was contained on this plate before the soy sauce was added!
I was inspired, after viewing everyone’s blogs on the VWAV cookbook challenge to find a recipe that I hadn’t made in that awesome tome.  I came up with the “Orecchiette with Cherry Tomatoes and Kalamata Tapenade”.  Why did I wait more than 2 years to try this?  It’s fantastic in the original dish (I even found the right pasta):
Kalamata Tapanade Pasta
I added extra parsley for prettiness.
But we also tried it on bread (on Isa’s suggestion in the cookbook).  Witness the glory that is Tofutti Cream Cheese Kalamata Tapenade poppy seed bagels.  Seriously.  You HAVE to try this.  We had this for dinner on Sunday night and I had to have it again for breakfast today.  (I even exclaimed the virtues of it on Facebook).
Bagels of awesomefantastamagoricalness
It’s like heaven on bread WITH OLIVES!  Could I be more excited about a food?
And to finish, even though this was dinner on Friday night, we have pie filling.  ‘Beef’ and ‘bacon’ pie filling.  Cam said he fried an onion and added casserole mince and sliced Sanitarium luncheon.  Then he added ‘beef’ stock and a rather large quantity of liquid smoke (and I think a little gravy powder).  To top it off we added a slice of Toffuti American sliced cheeze and put in the pie maker.  It’s near to impossible to take a photo of a pie without destroying it, so you’ll have to imagine the awesomeness.  Here’s a rather unattractive picture of the filling:
'Beef' and 'bacon' pie filling
It’s really only good when you serve it straight away so you can mix the toffuti into the rest of the filling.
I’m having fun being a MoFo.  Thanks for all of your comments.  They’re a great pickup while I’m writing assignments! 

10 comments:

Jamie G said...

It's only post 4 and I'm already starting to regret reading your MoFo Amy!!! Only because I keep reading it before dinner while I'm hungry though ;)

x said...

I NEED those dumplings but the whole plate of food looks great too.

I am enjoying being an AusNZMoFo as well :D

lisa said...

I'm loving OzVeganMoFo too!

Anonymous said...

I love the variation chinese food gives you in single meal. My mouth is watering and I am running out to buy some for supper tonight.

Vaala ◪ said...

That food all looks crazy good especially the first picture of Cam's lunch. Awesome! I'm inspired by that pie filling. I should try making some (well, inside a pie crust) for the flat one night.

Theresa said...

All three of those meals look pretty freaking awesome.

Susan said...

Mmmm... it looks fantastic. I love going to the Asian grovery stores. Any idea what is going on with Magic Wok? Are they just renovating or have they gone. There was a signon the door saying opening soon but no other details!

Amy said...

I want the plate of sodium infused asian food!!! YUM!!!!

Must make some of that tapenade too!! I love olives.

The Voracious Vegan said...

Okay, I need a plate of absolutely everything - it all looks so delicious! Wow, seriously impressive!

BrisVegan said...

They all look great. I love all the Chinese supermarket options here in sunny Brisvegas.

I really must try that VWAV pasta, it's one I haven't tried yet.