Tuesday 8 January 2013

Vegan Hot Pot

So after we went to lunch on Sunday, Susan and I hit up the asian grocery stores in the valley.  We visited a Thai grocer and Burlington.  I stocked up on the lamyong fake meats (they had the 'good' veggie 'ham' FINALLY) and bought this interesting package:

Mixed!  Woo!
So I made it for dinner on Monday night after my usual bike ride (72.1km so far this year).

I opened the package to reveal this tiny ziplock bag:
Not suspicious at all
It was the hot pot broth.  I added it to 2000ml of boiling water (why not say 2L?) and then chopped up the hot pot 'meats':
There's fake prawns ('frawns'), fake sausage, tofu and other more seafoody things
It didn't say to chop them up, but I'm a cheapskate.

Added to the broth:
BLURRY!
I chopped up cabbage, cauliflower, pak choy and carrots to put in with the soup and then put it all together.
Hot! Pot!
It was pretty good.  We added a dash of Kikkoman Soy sauce to each bowl.  We only use Kikkoman as directed on the little bottle ;)

The broth: could have been a little saltier (thus the soy), but pretty much reminded me of hot pot/won ton broth.  As a carb freak, I knew I should have added in rice noodles (we definitely need bigger soup bowls - not enough depth to add noodles on top of the veggies you can see sticking out).

The fake meats: tasted pretty much the same as other fake seafoods I've had (the non-seaweed based ones).  Reminded me a lot of the fake meats you'd find in the Laksa at the now defunct ID Cafe in the Valley (sniff).

It was a nice change for dinner.  We have leftovers for dinner tonight, so hopefully it will be just as good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! This looks like my kind of meal. I love those fake seafood items.

Amy said...

Thanks! I hadn't heard of your blog until now (adds to RSS reader). :)

Anonymous said...

now that looks good =P yum!